- Overwhelming stress can trigger a range of physical responses
- Recharge your body to cope with everyday pressures
Promoting doctors’ well-being
Ensuring quality patient care
Take actions ASAP to manage stress and to avoid burnout
Quality patient care and doctors’ well-being go hand in hand.1 As healthcare practitioners, our duty is to look after the health of patients and the community,2 and we can do this well only if we are willing and able to look after ourselves and each other.
Every one of our colleagues should also enjoy the opportunities for personal development and for meeting demands in other areas of life, and we can help each other to achieve that.
The Hong Kong Academy of Medicine (Academy), assuming a leading role in the medical and dental profession, has promulgated a Well-being Charter committed to cultivating and promoting well-being of Academy Fellows and specialist trainees of Academy Colleges. We pledge to acknowledge the importance of well-being, to take actions, and to advocate policy changes for the improvement of our Fellows’ and trainees’ wellness. Task Force on Well-being, chaired by the Academy’s Honorary Secretary, has been set up to devise plans and initiatives. Click here for the membership.
Our incremental approach
Manage stress, avoid burnout and stay well
Helping you understand and recognise the causes, signs, and symptoms of burnout, stress, and other mental well-being issues
Self-assessment tools - Burnout, Anxiety and Depression
Take the following online tests for mental health self- assessment
Providing practical advice for enhancing well-being and managing stress
- Maintain curiosity, value lifelong learning and respond positively to intellectual challenges
- Expand knowledge and skills
- Be mindful of your financial decision making
- Participate in work that provides personal satisfaction and life enrichment that is consistent with your values, goals, and lifestyle
- Maintain healthy relationships, enjoy being with others, take care of others and let others take care of you
- Connect with Fellows through participation in activities organsied by the Academy’s Social Subcommittee. Click here for details.
- Identify, understand and respect your feelings, values and attitudes that may lead to negative emotions
- Lead a lifestyle that values the relationship between the individual, the community, and the environment
- Well-being is affected by the environments we live in and we as individuals also have a significant impact on these environments
- Connect with nature and plants by joining the Friends of Academy’s Gardening Corner Programme that promotes healthy lifestyle and connection with Fellows interested in organic gardening
- Find purpose, value, and meaning in your life, and participate in activities that are consistent with your beliefs and values
Audios for mindfulness practice